Monday, August 16, 2010

My Midnight Sun-Balancing-Part 5


The new scent that permeated my surroundings made me tense for a moment as I went through my usual struggle for self control, but I was surprised to notice it was easier this time, as if my body had already been primed for this reaction.

“How did you sleep?”  I managed to ask her, already knowing the answer.

“Fine.  How was your night?”

So many answers to that.  Wonderful.  Intoxicating.  Magic.  Beautiful.  I released the breath that filled my lungs and along with it, the burn.

“Pleasant.”  I smiled.

“Can I ask what you did?”   

My smile broadened.  Of course, she wouldn’t know how much her question felt like an interrogation, even if she was the offspring of the Chief of Police.

“No,” I answered.  “Today is still mine.”

We drove to school and spent our free time much as we had the day before, with me asking her the questions.  Medium questions—not the trivial ones of yesterday, but also not to the depths I really wanted to go... not yet.

My mind was troubled, meandering down paths I both welcomed and regretted.  There were questions I was desperate to know, yet wasn’t sure I wanted to: Did she have feelings for anyone else?  Had she ever had feelings for someone else?  

Then I realized, it was her response to the cologne question yesterday that first got me started down this path.  Started tugging at the outskirts of my mind, not leaving me alone.  What was this feeling that ignited my predatory response?  Was it jealousy?  

Whatever it was, it was powerful.

No comments:

Post a Comment