Tuesday, October 13, 2009

My Midnight Sun- Complications- Part 2

So I realized I need to make these shorter, being a blog and all. That way you can read the entire thing or just random small ones :) Here's the next section:

If my mood was somber before, it suddenly became lighter as I saw Bella stumble out the gym doors with a big smile on her face that seemed reserved just for me. I couldn’t help but return the smile, all worries dispelled for the moment by her pure and childlike joy.
In the mood of this moment, I commenced my questioning. She was more unreserved now when she answered, even animated, and I felt her joy settle into what might be left of my soul. Truly, I could spend the rest of my life watching her talk and I would be content.
I drove her home after school, bouncing questions off her all the way. The rain was heavier than usual, so for Bella’s sake I took extra care and drove ridiculously slow. We spent the rest of the afternoon in my Volvo in front of her house, talking until late. Nearly too late.
Time flew by, even for my world where time barely existed. It was just so calm and pleasant, listening to her voice above the noise of the torrential rain. And even though my senses discerned the ring of each raindrop individually as it made contact with the car and windshield, I’ve long since learned to tune it out. As my attention was focused on Bella, the vivid pinging was peaceful instead… the chords of an instrument playing in the outlying portions of my mind, providing background notes to the sound of her voice.
I was so focused, in fact, that I lost track of the time until I heard Charlie’s thoughts a short distance away…
Barely reserved excitement over something outdoors with friends, by a river—must be fishing, and the thought of one friend seemed somehow familiar, amplified…
Bella trailed off when she noticed that my attention was diverted. “Are you finished?” she asked, relief in her voice.
“Not even close,” I answered brightly, and then let my voice drop to a more sober note, “but your father will be home soon.”

1 comment:

  1. Hi, Karen.
    I like this posting. I liked it when Edward said he could look at Bella forever and be content, that he drove ridiculously slow for her benefit, and when he described the rain. Thanks. Keep the story going. Roxy.

    ReplyDelete